Human resource information systems or HRIS for short had come a long way since the 1970s when it was used for the first time to manage human capital data. These days, most hiring software systems are subscription and cloud-based. They can be integrated with other data management programs and customized to fit the organization’s needs, goals, and budget.
In 2021, HRIS is used to manage and optimize the daily human resources tasks and the company’s overall human resources goals. With HRIS, HR employees and managers can better allocate their time and resources to maximize their productive and profitable efforts. HRIS can automate manual tasks, and create reports fueled by HR data.
HRIS can sometimes help employees and managers with other tasks, such as time tracking, performance management, and updating employee directories.
One of the most popular recruitment software solutions on the market is BambooHR. if you are considering BambooHR for recruitment software. In this post, we’ll explore the benefits and drawbacks of using a HRIS like BambooHR as a pure recruitment software.
We will also recommend the top 3 BambooHR alternatives in 2022:
- BambooHR Alternative #1: Recruiteze
- BambooHR Alternative #2: Workday
- BambooHR Alternative #3: Greenhouse
BambooHR is a cloud-based HR management software that offers its users an applicant tracking system (ATS), time tracking, payroll processing, benefits administration, employee engagement and employee satisfaction tools, automated reminders, and workforce data analytics.
BambooHR offers features that are comparable to many alternatives available on the market right now. Their standout features include a performance management module and mobile apps.
BambooHR promises that their performance management module is effective because they use a few quick questions that encourage action while limiting subjectivity and speculation. This should result in higher engagement, accurate reflections of employee performance, and the ability to address problems faster instead of six months, which is the usual time between two performance reviews, which BambooHR vows to shorten.
BambooHR also offers a mobile app that they promise can be useful for both employees and managers. Managers can use the app to access a team directory on the go and view a time off calendar that shows who is out for the day.
If you are an employee, you can use the BambooHR mobile app to check vacation time and request time off right from your phone. Managers can then use the same app to approve requests while on the go.
Even though BambooHR is one of the most popular recruitment software on the market, it is not without its flaws. For example, reporting and custom data are limited. Also, the app can sometimes be very wonky and unstable.
Many people have also reported that the mobile app is not as polished as the web app, especially if you are using it as a manager/administrator, because of the limited number of features compared to the employee version of the app the web app in global.
If you are experiencing these or other problems with BambooHR or if you just want to test out the waters, we have prepared a list of three BambooHR competitors you should try.
For four weeks, we tested over twenty of the most popular BambooHR competitors that are available on the market right now. Based on our initial tests, we narrowed it down to the BambooHR alternatives that we feel have the best combination of features, usability, and pricing.
We then performed additional in-depth tests to rank these BambooHR competitors. Here are the criteria we used to rank the best BambooHR alternatives:
BambooHR Alternative #1: Recruiteze
We know, we know! “Placing your own software on the list!?”
Yes, and we have good reasons why, so just stick along. We promise it will be worth it.
Recruiteze is a recruitment software that will streamline all your recruiting processes by helping you track, organize, and sort your online applicant data.
With Recruiteze, you can reduce your hiring costs and hire great candidates. Recruiteze is packed with features that will help you boost your hiring efforts while ensuring that you never miss a great applicant. Unlike BambooHR, Recruiteze is a simpler and more effective solution that focuses on providing a great experience and great features.
The standout features of Recruiteze include:
- Broadcast your jobs — You can easily publish a job ad to over a dozen major job boards, including ZipRecruiter, Indeed, and Glassdoor. This will save you a lot of time and improve the visibility of your job ad, which means that better candidates are more likely to see it.
- Screener Questions — You can use Recruiteze to create advanced screener question forms. These question forms allow you to quickly screen and short-list better candidates for your jobs. Different questionnaires can be used for different jobs.
- Customize your recruiting workflow — With Recruiteze, you can quickly and easily design a workflow based on your company’s existing hiring process — you don’t need to adapt to Recruiteze. Recruiteze will adapt to you. You can also effectively track candidates that apply through your various hiring stages.
- Tags, filters, notes, and tasks — To avoid overlap and better organize your candidates, you can create and manage tags and filter by those tags. You can also leave notes and create custom tasks for each candidate, which is especially useful if your recruitment team is bigger.
At the moment, some of the interactions with other vendors are missing. Additionally, the software is not aimed at enterprises but mostly at small to medium-sized businesses. However, Recruiteze is evolving rapidly based on feedback, and we’re working hard to ensure that everything runs smoothly.
Recruiteze is available in 5 plans — Starter, Startup, Pro Business, Enterprise, and Custom Plan. A 15-day free no credit card required trial is available, and all the plans can be paid monthly or annually, with annual plans having a 30% discount.
BambooHR is a much more complex app. However, that is not an advantage over Recruiteze per se. Even though Recruiteze has a smaller number of available features, they are all designed to provide the users with the best possible user experience and efficiency in the recruiting process while saving you money.
- User experience: 5/5
- Standout features: 4.5/5
- Pricing: 5/5
- Customer support effectiveness: 5/5
BambooHR Alternative #2: Workday
Workday is a complex suite of human capital management software. It consists of multiple software, including talent acquisition and recruiting solutions.
Workday says they will help you manage the full talent acquisition lifecycle. Their standout features include:
- Hire feedback — Workday allows you to get feedback using Slack and Microsoft Teams, set up interviews on Outlook and Google, and help your hiring managers speed up the process with simplified job requisitions.
- High-volume hiring — You can use Workday to automate hiring workflows, distribute candidates on a large scale, and process offers and agreements in bulk, all of which is great if you need to hire for many roles at once.
- Make data-driven decisions — Workday’s dashboards and analytics feature allow you to effectively measure key metrics, thus making it easier to support business goals.
If you are running a smaller business or your recruitment software needs are not as extensive, you may need to shop elsewhere for an applicant tracking system.
Also, many users have reported that Workday is not always user friendly, as it takes a few clicks to complete some processes instead of other solutions that can do the same functions in less time and fewer clicks.
Workday doesn’t publicly release how much their software costs. To get a quote, you need to contact them directly.
Workday is the most similar solution to BambooHR on this list. They share many of the same features and functionalities, but Workday does it on a grand scale, and is generally meant for enterprises.
- User experience: 4/5
- Standout features: 3/5
- Pricing: 5/5
- Customer support effectiveness: 4/5
BambooHR Alternative #3: Greenhouse
Greenhouse is an applicant tracking system and recruiting software designed to help improve hiring processes. It consists of a recruiting and an onboarding solution, but we will focus on the recruiting one right now.
The standout features of Greenhouse include:
- Candidate tracker — This feature allows you to classify and nurture talent in your talent database so that you can quickly find exactly who you’re looking for.
- Fair and equitable hiring process — Greenhouse helps you reduce unconscious bias with nudges and measurement tools.
- Better candidate experience — With Greenhouse, you can create career pages and customizable email templates for a better experience for your candidates.
Many users report that Greenhouse is not a user-friendly software. Even though there are many features, many people need an in-depth tutorial on how to use them. You have to search for what you want on their help pages unless you want to spend days without making progress.
Greenhouse’s pricing is based on the number of employees your company has. To find out the exact price for your needs, you need to contact them directly for a quote.
Greenhouse is similar to BambooHR, but it is a bit more complex and generally intended for larger companies.
- User experience: 3/5
- Standout features: 4/5
- Pricing: 4/5
- Customer support effectiveness: 5/5
So there you have it, the three best BambooHR competitors.
Workday and Greenhouse are excellent choices for enterprises that are looking for a complex human capital management solution for and that can afford to spend time learning a complex applicant tracking system, respectively.
Recruiteze has a great combination of features, functionality, a great user experience, and pricing, all of which contribute to a great choice for SMBs.